Someone said to me today that it was only 42 days till Christmas, so to get us all into the Christmas mood here’s a simple fun recipe for meringue snowmen that kids will love to help make and eat !
You will need to make a basic meringue mix with the following:-
100g (4 oz) Caster Sugar / 2 eggs / Salt (just a pinch)
For the decoration, such as the snowmans eyes, mouth, nose, buttons etc., use:-
Glacé Cherries, Currants, Candied Peel. Small sweets like dolly mixtures or similar or a combination to add features to your snowmen. And some ready-made tube icing the kind that comes with a piping nossle,this comes in handy to help stick your decorations onto your meringue snowmen.
- To make the meringue separate the egg whites from the yoke, and put the egg whites into a bowl, add the salt. Whisk with an electric mixer and gradually add the sugar. The mixture will begin to froth, keep whisking until the mixture becomes glossy and forms stiff peaks.
- Take a sheet of grease proof paper and place on a baking tray, then take a teaspoonful of the mixture and dollop onto the greaseproof paper, flatten slightly with the teaspoon to make the snowman’s head then another dollop of the meringue mixture for the body.
- Bake in a cool over for 2 hours (120°C / 225°F or Gas Mark ½) until crisp looking or firm to the touch.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Once cool, take your currants, sweets, candied peel etc., and use to decorate your snowmen. Give them features such as mouth, eyes, nose and buttons. Use the ready-made icing to stick the sweets, peel etc., onto the snowmen by squirting a small drop onto the snowman and placing your decoration on top of the drop of icing.
Tip: If you have a piping bag you can put the meringue mixture into it and pipe your snowmen shapes onto the greasproof paper instead of using a spoon, or pipe the meringue into the shape of a snowflake and make meringue snowflakes too !